When it comes to finding an accountant for your new startup business, two of the questions you’ll need to answer are who and why. The answers to these questions are very important for any entrepreneur since you’ll hopefully be working with the accountant you select for years to come. Let’s take a closer look at these questions to determine what answers you should look for.
The “Who” in Finding Accountants for New Startups
This question is usually fairly easy to answer. You want to find an accountant who has experience in small businesses. However, there’s more to it than that.
Here are some of the things you want in an accountant:
- Experience helping small businesses in your location and in your industry
- Has small business clients
- Has worked as an accountant for at least a few years
- Has expertise in the areas you need
You want to make certain that the accountant is also a good fit with you personally. Be sure to meet in person at least once to talk and ask any questions you might have before you make your final decision.
Most people believe that the “why” question is also very easy – you need an accountant to keep track of your new startup business’s finances.
But there’s much more that a good accountant can do for your new business.
- They can help you grow your business by assisting you in determining how and when to expand.
- They will help you understand the tax process and what you can do to minimize the amount of business tax you have to pay.
- They can assist you in finding additional sources of funding such as loans or investors.
- They provide solid financial advice throughout your career, offering an outside perspective on your budget, prospective expenses, and more.
Finding a good accountant for your small business is more than finding someone who records numbers. It’s important to find someone who meets all of your needs because they will be a trusted financial advisor. Call us today for FREE accounting & CPA consultation.